Revoltech VF-1s: Vexar Custom-

What better way to start a new year. With a custom made Revoltech figure. Well, its actually custom painted. I had my eyes on the Revoltech Macross figures since they were released. I did a review of my Revoltech VF-1S figure, when I got it after it was released. That was the first Revoltech figure I picked up. Was that the only reason why I got my hands on a VF-1S? Part of the reason was because I liked the Strike Valkyrie design. Also for the reason of customizing
the figure. I don't know if there are people besides me actually do customize their Revoltech Valkyrie figures. Or custom paint them.

The Idea: I took it from an old and dead model concept a company Revell made as part of their Robotech Changers model series. Taking the original variable 1/72 scale VF-1S model of from Bandai, and making it their own. They made a few changes to the Color scheme of the Skull Squadron leaving the basic black and yellow "stripe" design on. I saw a box of that model in many places. I remember seeing a box of that model in swizerland on the hobby floor of a store in Zurich, Franz Carl Weber. I had already taken the idea and used it as an alternate color scheme for the skull squadron. Years after the Vexar model went out of print. I have done numerous models of the VF-1S and VF-1A models made by Hasegawa, in the Vexarian style color scheme. Here is how i did the custom paint of on my Revoltech VF-1S figure. So lets dive right in-


The Actual work- One thing I was not aware of or didn't think about. I didn't know was even possible. The fact that I was able to take this Revoltech figure apart. I pulled the thing apart at the chest. Honestly, I almost thought I broke it. After seeing the Revoltech joint in the chest, I knew I didn't break the figure. After taking the whole thing apart, I went ahead and did the paint job. I did the back panels and the top surface of the wings first. Putting the black color on. To do the wings I had to spread the wings out first then fold them closed to get the paint on all the areas that I needed to paint over. On the back in some areas, I added some panel line
details. It looks better than just having the engraved panel lines on.


Turning the thing over, I left this part the way it is. I left it white with the stripes on. All I did was add the panel line details on the chest. The panel line details make it more real. That was what I was aiming to do while I customized it.


The next part was a bit tricky. Doing the paint work on the lower body. But I had to paint like sort of a triangle on nose cone. From the cockpit to the tip of the nose cone. I had to make sure it was equal on either side of the triangle and it properly came to a point.

On to the legs. I did the panel line details first then did the paint work. This part was a bit tricky, I painted the inner surfaces of the legs. First I did the outboard panels. I had to make sure the there was no paint on the outer surface of the legs. If any paint went on, I would have to scrape it off. Next I had to becareful I didn't get any on the U.N. SPACY lettering. I had to paint around it. Things went well with out any problems.

The legs inboard panels were a lot easier to do. It was still a bit tricky. I only had to watch out for the legs outer surface. Without the lettering, it made it a little easier to paint this part in a black color. I can see how well the panel line details came together with the black color on the legs. Very nice.

I had to remove the arms from the torso. From the shoulders. The whole unit comes off. I took the forearms from the shoulders. I wanted do each part serparately. I did the forearms first. There was not a lot to do on this part. Just put the panel line details on.

Next i did the shoulders. I did the panel line details on the shoulder plates first. It was pretty simple and straight forward. I did the bicepts next. This part I had to make sure there was no white color showing. Painted completely black. It was starting to look pretty good. I put those parts aside.
The head, I took off the torso. The neck joint stayed in the torso. That makes it easier to put the head back on later. For the head all I did was paint the raised area in the middle of the head a black color. I had to lower the head beam cannons to make it easier for me to do the paint
job. I was able to get the work done. The whole thing is starting to look really good.
Okay. The super/strike F.A.S.T. pack booster armor. Shaded in a mediuum blue color. Like the figure the panel lines are very crisply engraved in the pieces. The skull squadron log is printed on to the boosters. All that was needed was to do the panel line details on the armor pieces. On the medium blue color of the armor it looks good with the black panel line details. It has a more real look to it.
Now its time to present this figure as it was intended to be. First I put all the parts together in the proper manner. From the legs up to the head. The front view shown here. It looks really good. This Vexarian color scheme looks alot better than the regular Skull Squadron colors. And with a touch of realism it looks even better.
Here, seen from the back view, the figure looks really good. TRemove Formatting from selectionhe black color shows more on the
wings and along the back. It even shows on the legs a little better. It shows Skull Leader looks good with this paint scheme. But this is the first time I have ever custom painted a Revoltech figure. At first I wasn't sure about the whole thing. But I got results better what I was
expecting.
Does all this paint and extra detail affect the poseability and joint movement. The functions are still the same. I decided to show off the figure first, without the super/strike armor, because the original design of the Vexar model Revell released didn't have any type of armor. Shown here above the joint movement is still pretty good. I have the figure standing and aiming its rifle.
Even other poses like regular ones shown here. I have the figure standing and holding the rifle, but not aiming or shooting at anything. I did this so I can show off the details and paint scheme a bit more. From another angle.
I put the super/strike armor on. I mean I must say it still looks just as good with and with out the armor on. I have it standing here just to show it off with the armor on.

Even with the armor on I can get some good poses. I have the figure posed here holding the rifle and shooting at something. As an example. Still looks good. It looks a lot more real. Later on I do have other custom Valks I want to do. Maybe a VF-1A in this custom paint scheme. I'm still not sure what I have planned next. But there will be more custom painted Valks later.

Conclusion- I have a bad habit of admiring my handy work. I do have a many more Revoltech Macross Valks I want to get my hands on. Some to display and some customize a bit. There are alot of designs I'm looking into. And many ideas.

Comments

Popular Posts